Saturday, April 30, 2011

Yup.

I was published a total of 46 times in my first year of Creative Communications:

- 26 times by the Manitoba Bisons, writing sports journalism and game recaps. Each of these 26 stories taking up around 4-5 hours of my night. I'll do the math for you, it's 104-130 hours.
- 13 times by The Winnipeg Free Press, the city's most credible and highly regarded newspaper. Some opportunities I asked for, others were offered to me.
- 5 times in various industry magazines: Local Fare, The Manitoba Mining Review, The Ontario Mineral Exploration Review, The Saskatchewan Oil Report, and the Official Publication of the School Plant Officials Society of Alberta (SPOSA).
- 2 times in The Projector.

As an aspiring journalist, I knew that just as important as my school work, was doing everything that I could to get my name out there, and I think I successfully managed to do both. As those who have been through the program know, CreComm itself is hard enough on its own, when you're not working at three journalism-related jobs, have two learning disabilities, are trying to plan your wedding and pay bills for two on a single income.

Unfortunately, talking, even when you don't have anything to say, is apparently far more important in determining your success than anything else.

I was recently informed that I would not be able to select the major of my choice (Journalism, if you haven't been paying attention) because of a low Professionalism grade that has resulted in me landing a mere 4% short of the required grade. I was also informed that this is because I didn't speak enough in class, didn't freelance as much in second semester (I actually freelanced more but hey, what do I know), and just generally lost interest in journalism.

Interesting, especially since I started work this past Monday (the first week of our summer break, my choice) at a magazine publisher, as an intern editor, where I will be working for the entire summer, and will likely be published another 50 times. Meanwhile, I've really enjoyed reading vacation updates from other J majors who are enjoying a nice relaxing summer break. There's truly nothing wrong with that.

But I think there is something wrong with all of these undeniable facts proving my strong interest and hard work in journalism not being enough to add four marks to a section labeled "Professionalism", because, as far as I know, I have taken journalism a lot more seriously and professionally than most other students have. My latest story:

BREAKING NEWS: Some people are just quiet. Look a little deeper.

8 comments:

  1. You're a great writer, Their loss. Keep your head up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's rough dude. Keep you head high, because your work will speak for its self.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe you can take your case to them? It sounds as if you're very passionate about journalism and maybe they'll see that?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no! I agree with Al and Krystalle, keep going man. Having been someone who worked closely with you (LOMO4EVER) I know you work hard and will be successful at what you put your mind to. You're passionate and know what you want, go get em'!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have been a Journalist since you were 6 years old. Don't let anyone tell you you're not.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's that passion that you feel in your heart that makes you a great journalist - not a piece of paper. Continue to write about your passion and never let any one take that away from you!

    Lesley

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks to eeeeveryone for all the kind words and support.

    56% is not a good grade by any means, and it goes without saying that there were other factors that contributed to it. I had two auto-fails this semester as well, without which I would have been able to obtain my C.

    I understand the purpose AND benefit of auto-fails, but when you start denying people the path they are trying to stay on, because of a capital letter... I don't see the benefit in that.

    We're told over and over again that the instructors WANT us to succeed, and want to help us do well, but I've felt much more like the exact opposite is true in this particular case.

    I don't plan on shutting up about this matter quite yet, and will take it to the apropriate people.

    Thanks again to everyone who took the time to give their thoughts on it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW. I just heard about this man, and I'm sorry. First off tho congrats on a year of hard work- i'm blown away by your publishing numbers! And i'm glad you're going to go after this, all the best JT

    ReplyDelete

Comments always welcome.