Tuesday, April 5, 2011

WrestleMania 27 Review

Alright, let's get right into this. I'm sure a lot of folks aren't going to like what I have to say about this disaster of a PPV, but that's what they make a comment box for.

So we open with the World Heavyweight Championship match, whose brilliant idea was that? That was my first thought; then I saw the match, saw a Royal Rumble winner's momentum get thrown in the trash, and the cheap, childish antics that followed, and my thought changed to "Ok, I'm actually glad they got that out of the way, I probably would have been more disappointed if I saw that as the second-last match..."

Rhodes and Mysterio was alright. The match was alright, but don't think I'm praising it. It was a Smackdown-caliber match, not something I would have expected to see on a WrestleMania stage. Sorry Rey and young talent like Cody Rhodes, but in a completely separate but equally idiotic move, the WWE decided to scrap the Money in the Bank match from WrestleMania. That means you guys need to step up and fill the "spot-void" that we are now accustomed to seeing at Mania. Anything less just feels like the bar has been lowered.

Four minutes of Daniel Bryan vs. Sheamus probably would have been the best match on the card, it infuriates me to no end that I have to watch eight time-fillers come out and wrestle a four-minute pointless, piece-of-shit match that is literally a slap in the face of everyone who paid their hard-earned money to tune in. Yeah, I'm not writing out everyone's name, hopefully you know which match I'm talking about.

Punk and Orton wasn't bad, but pretty much same issue as with Mysterio/Rhodes. I shouldn't have my ass firmly planted in my seat for an entire WrestleMania match. Shouldn't happen.

Cole and Lawler... Whatever, I didn't really have high expectations for this one, though I still managed to be surprised at just how atrociously abysmal Cole is at wrestling. Like I said, Stunners and a beer party is what the people paid for, and that's what they got.

Triple H and Taker. Sigh... Here's where I get my heat. Hated it. Hot garbage. Opened with the three biggest spots of the entire night and then spammed their finishers for, what, 15 minutes? And people are saying "It told a great story", yeah, well my Grandpa tells some pretty good stories too, but that doesn't mean I'd pay $70 to hear one. Next.

Nice flippies Snooki. Next.

Best part of the entire night came next, and that was The Miz's video package. I'm going to try and post it here later tonight. Absolutely epic. Cena's gospel choir was so random and confusing, I'm glad they got booed. Cena and Miz was good. Too short. Thought Miz was dead after smacking his head, God that was ugly looking. But anyways, it was pretty obvious that the entire show was basically designed around the final five minutes. It was cool, but couldn't save the entire show unfortunately.

Safe to say this is the most disappointed I've been with a show. Not the worst show ever, but I think it had the most hype and most potential to be good, for how bad it turned out to be. Danielson and Sheamus could have put on a clinic too, but they decided to have those garbage tag matches instead.

As a lot of people are saying, and I tend to agree with, WrestleMania 28 already looks better than 27. Very, very interesting development to have that match made a year in advance. I'll be very interested to see what Rock chooses to do between now and then.

Also, REALLY enjoyed seeing Austin wrestle as much as he did last night, damn, he's still got it. Lou Thesz and the Elbow were flawless, granted far from a whole match, but I was surprised at just how well he delivered. He looked match-ready to me.

Sorry this post has been a little random, lots to say, very little time to do it. I may post again tonight, with the Miz video package and maybe some more well-composed thoughts or anything I forgot to say. Anyways, flame away!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments always welcome.