Thursday, January 13, 2011

Royal Rumble Predictions

Is this premature? Maybe, but the Royal Rumble might be my favorite Pay-Per-View of the year. Might be; I'd have to have an hour-long argument inside my head of Royal Rumble vs. WrestleMania, but I simply don't have the time or energy to commit to that. It's also better for me to do it now, because the earlier I predict the winner, the cooler I'll be if I actually get it right.

January 30, 2011 is the date, 30 Superstars, an hour of madness. Let's have a look at some potential names. Unfortunately, this year there really isn't a lot of potential for the Rumble to end in a way that will please me. Short of Bryan Danielson winning it but... Let's get real. Maybe next year though.

John Cena: Assuming he doesn't have a match at the Rumble. I doubt that he will though, since he'll probably squash his current beef with CM Punk over the next couple weeks, and be good to go. However if he wins, that will be unfortunate... The Rumble is supposed to make stars, give someone a shot who normally wouldn't have it. Cena does not need a Rumble win to headline WrestleMania... Sadly it just kind of happens on its own, whether we like it or not.

Sheamus: I can see this as a possibility. Like John Cena, Sheamus has already established himself as a main player, but unlike Cena, he's never won the Royal Rumble. Even after winning the big one, wrestlers still like to have "Won the Royal Rumble" on their resumés.

Wade Barrett: I'd say if he doesn't win the Rumble this year, it's lights out for Barrett. Unfortunately, he was a big fish in a small pond with Nexus. Right now, he's... like a seal frantically trying to swim away from a gigantic Great White about to do that jump out of the water, bite you in half flippy thing. And even if he does win it... I don't see him lasting very long after Mania.

John Morrison: Would be a risky move, and not something I feel like the WWE is quite ready to do yet. They gave him a couple of weeks in the main event scene, seemed like they were sort of testing him out and seeing whether or not they liked it, or trying to get a better idea of what they will do with him when it comes time for his REAL push.

Alberto Del Rio: Lot of buzz around this guy. He seems to be one of the favorites for this year. Tragic.

Jack Swagger: Possibly the sleeper choice this year. I like him, and don't really know where he went. He was beginning to remind me of a young Kurt Angle (not just because of the Ankle Lock, but it helped), and I think there's still a lot left that can be done with Swagger.

CM Punk: Seems like a good possibility to me. I like his angle right now with Nexus, but his "cult leader" persona I could do without.

Who else? Any surprises? Triple H is not coming back. Like, ever. I've heard rumors that Booker T is on his way back over, and why the hell is Batista not back yet? I heard he was coming back like, five months ago. So possibly a surprise winner this year? I also left out some of the big boys; Kane, Undertaker, Big Show. Can't see any of them winning it though... So my prediction for the 2011 Royal Rumble winner is:

CM Punk!

He just seems like the reliable choice, everyone knows he's talented, can work a mic, work a crowd, and he's yet to win the Rumble which is a key factor. Risky choice though, picking a heel, but we'll see what happens. Feel free to share your own predictions!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments always welcome.