Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Remember When...

You know what this blog has been missing? A weekly feature! So I’d like to introduce ‘Remember Wednesdays’. A weekly post I’ll be doing (on Wednesdays for the slow kids) where I’ll take some time to look back on a particular event, or moment that I think was awesome, or that I really enjoyed. Let’s get goin’.

Remember when Batista turning on Triple H was AWESOME? I’ve never really been a huge Batista fan, or even a huge Triple H fan, but I think if I was pressed to pick my favorite feud build-up, I’d have to pick the feud between these two leading up to WrestleMania 21.

Nowadays it seems as though the writers think week-to-week about feuds and storylines, but back then, this feud in particular, the seeds were being planted already at Survivor Series (maybe even earlier). I remember when Evolution was feuding with Benoit, Jericho, Maven, and Orton, because Eric Bischoff took a leave of absence for a month. Evolution was the powerhouse faction at that time, and with no GM to keep the inmates in line, they were bullying everyone in the locker room, until that group, led by Orton, stepped up to challenge them.

The premise was that the two teams would face off at Survivor Series and whichever team of four won, each member would get to be RAW GM for one week. And everybody was saying the same thing: “When I get my week as GM, Triple H, I’m coming for your title!” Even the guys on Triple H’s team were saying it! Triple H thought his only friend in the world was Dave Batista, and they had this one shot, that set up the entire feud, where Triple H is sitting in the locker room talking to Batista, and as he gets up and leaves, Batista just picks up the World Heavyweight Championship, and looks at it, with a look of deep contemplation in on face. Five seconds to plant the seeds for a fight that would take place almost five months later!

They just kept doing small things like that until the eventual contract signing, where Batista first gave Triple H the thumbs down, and holy smokes did that crowd go nuts. We’d been waiting four months to see Batista kick Triple H’s ass and he delivered an enormous powerbomb right through the table… Oh so satisfying.

Remember when feuds were developed properly? When feuds made sense? I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments always welcome.