Friday, October 8, 2010

John Cena: The Ultimate Heel

If there is a God, someone within the WWE will read this.

At this very moment in time, the WWE has the opportunity to break the 'dry spell' they've been in ever since they entered the "PG Era".

As a little bit of a background, the WWE recently entered it's latest "era", The PG Era. Basically what happened was Chris Benoit snapped, as a result of way too many concussions, killed his wife, his seven year old son, and then himself. This brought about MAJOR changes in the WWE, and the way they treat their talent. Obviously a double murder-suicide is NOT good publicity for a company. So the WWE decided to alter it's image to a much more family-friendly one, and in the process protect it's talent. They banned blading. They banned ANY type of head shots (chairs, foreign objects, anything.) And they toned the language down, and stopped doing anything overly violent.

For hardcore fans like myself, it was the saddest day in WWE history, and the reason why I don't watch the product much these days. I mean, look at this promo from the Attitude Era:



Maybe it's not fair of me to use to The Rock and Steve Austin as examples, because nothing could EVER compare to their feuds, but just the entire feel back then compared to now is like Disney World to Tinker Town. But I digress from the matter at hand.

The WWE right now is staring at the greatest opportunity they've ever had to bring some life to the PG product, and that opportunity's name is John Cena. Ever since 2005, John Cena has been the ultimate babyface, he stands up for justice and honesty, and sends a wholesome message to the youth watching the product. Five long years I've had to endure this crap, because the WWE was just too selfish to take the loss in revenue from Cena's merchandise sales, and turn the guy heel.

Now, Cena belongs to The Nexus. Anyone here ever watch Power Rangers as a kid? Think evil Green Ranger, the ULTIMATE Power Rangers baddie, that is what Cena could become here. One of the greatest villains in WWE history. Five years children have been cheering for this modern-day Superman, it needs to end. Evil Cena... I get chills just thinking about it.

Last week was just the beginning, Cena turned over the victory to Nexus leader, Wade Barrett. This could be good, start off slow. Maybe next week have Cena take a bullet for Barrett, but eventually Cena needs to get his hands on a babyface. I'm talking complete annihilation. But it needs to be someone lower down on the card, like Matt Hardy, or maybe The Hart Trilogy. Have Barrett send him after Smith and Kidd, and just destroy them.

The only problem I foresee is what to do when The Nexus angle is done with. How to keep the guy heel? The fans don't want to boo him, and even if they boo him throughout this Nexus angle, they're really booing The Nexus, not Cena... Tricky tricky.

I'm sure in the end Cena will turn on Barrett (I hope they at least drag it out until WrestleMania...), and be a babyface again by the end of this angle but... Someone once said, "You may say I'm a dreamer... but I'm not the only one." Am I so wrong for dreaming of a world where John Cena is a heel?

I think I've rambled on enough for today... I think next week I'll try to tackle the Chris Benoit murder-suicide. Chris Benoit was (my opinion) THE greatest professional wrestler of all time, and a personal hero of mine, and I don't care how ridiculous it sounds, it was one of the worst days of my life when I found out what he did. I'll leave a video at the bottom to preview next week's blog post: The Chris Benoit Tragedy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments always welcome.