Tuesday, October 12, 2010

The Chris Benoit Tragedy

Chris Benoit was hands-down one of my favorite wrestlers of all time. One of those guys that crossed over to a whole other level for me. Someone who could actually give me goosebumps just from watching him wrestle a match. The list of wrestlers who could/can get that kind of reaction out of me is pretty short.

Benoit was legendary in the ring. From the opening bell until he was off camera, he gave 110%, and was one of the most physical wrestlers you'll ever see. And that's what I loved about him, not only was he great, but he brought the best out of anyone he stepped in the ring with. And the reason for that is simple: If you're not at your best when you're in there Benoit, you're going to find yourself chewing on your own ass by the end of the match.

I've seen Benoit wrestle live a few times, but I'll never forget his match with MVP at WrestleMania 23. We had Undertaker vs. Batista and Shawn Michaels vs. John Cena, and Jeff Hardy's mind-boggling spot in the Money in the Bank Ladder Match, but on the train ride back to the hotel, all I could talk about was the wrestling clinic Chris Benoit put on in his match against MVP. Awesome.

I remember June 25, 2007 pretty vividly. Or at least what I was doing when I found out. I remember going to WWE.com and seeing Chris Benoit's portrait, against a black background, and that is never good. Sure enough, the caption read "Chris Benoit Found Dead", but more than that, the smaller print below it said that not only was Chris found dead, but so was his wife, Nancy, and their seven year old son, Daniel.

Same as when I found out Eddie Guerrero had died, I'm pretty sure I was in shock for a couple of days. It just doesn't seem real, the gravity of someone simply not being here anymore is too much for anyone to fully grasp in one sitting. I started reading up online, and heard everything from "Nancy and Daniel got sick and died, and Chris killed himself when he got home and found them" to "Nancy killed Daniel, and Chris killed her and then himself". It seems strange now, but it never even entered my mind that Chris could have killed them both.

Monday Night RAW was tough to get through that night, as the entire show was cancelled and they filled the three hour time slot with a tribute show to Benoit, featuring his greatest moments, matches, and emotional testimonials from other wrestlers.

This post is titled "The Chris Benoit Tragedy" so I will tell you the facts of the tragedy, as they've been reported: Chris Benoit killed his wife Nancy, then his seven year old son Daniel, and then himself. The apparent catalyst was massive brain damage, caused by repeated concussions and blows to the head over his wrestling career. There.

Chris Benoit was 14,633 days old when he died. I think the real tragedy is that a man who led such an inspirational life, will forever be defined by three of those days. That a man who worked so hard to forge an amazing legacy doing what he loved, will be remembered for his crimes.

I remember way back when I was just learning Pro Wrestling, in December, in a garage with no insulation, and a ring with no springs, just a lot of wooden planks and carpet. I'd just taken a horribly botched leg drop from a 350 lb man-beast, which broke my nose. And as I rolled out of the ring, blood steadily trickling from my nose, I remember thinking "Ok, what would Benoit do?" And I may not have liked it, but Chris Benoit would have stuffed some kleenex in there so he wouldn't get blood all over his instructor's mat, and climbed back in there to take some more leg drops. I mean, the guy broke my nose, he obviously needs more practice. Glad to help.

I'm gonna wrap it up now, there isn't enough room on the internet for me to say everything I want to about Benoit, so I've got to end it somewhere. What Chris Benoit did in the last three days of his life, should not be forgotten, or looked past. But it shouldn't nullify everything that he did before it. I still try to model myself after Chris's example; humble, hard-working and respectful. I just wish that I could say that I consider Chris Benoit to be one of my heroes, without needing to add "the man, not the murderer" after it, but that is, unfortunately, the sad reality.

For most people, when they hear the name 'Chris Benoit' they think of a monster who murdered his wife and son, and then hanged himself. I think of a hard worker who earned my respect and millions of others', and influenced a lot of who I am today. What he did was unforgivable, but it won't stop me from appreciating who he was, and what he did for my love of professional wrestling. Benoit was the best. I miss him every time I watch a match.

Let's end off with a classic Benoit moment. I remember having to pick my jaw up off the floor after I saw this live. O_O.


1 comment:

  1. Benoit was intense, to say the least. I remember the WM 23 match too - the program between himself and MVP had so much potential, was so exciting. Still, even though I truly believe he was physically a very sick man at the end of his life, I can't think of him in the same way now as I did then.

    ReplyDelete

Comments always welcome.